These short films have been made by NHS Grampian Archives in collaboration with Grampian Hospitals Art Trust as part of their Amplify project. The project is exploring the history of The Joint Hospitals Scheme, first mentioned over 100 years ago in 1920. The scheme was the first to bring public health services and medical education together in one location. This ultimately resulted in what can be seen now on the Foresterhill Health Campus.
Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital
This film looks at the history of the Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital. This short film spans its origins in the city centre to its move to the Foresterhill site.
Aberdeen Maternity Hospital
This is the third film from NHS Grampian Archives looking at the history of the Foresterhill site and the origins of the Joint Hospital Scheme. Aberdeen Maternity Hospital was the third and final hospital to move to Foresterhill as part of the Joint Hospitals Scheme. The first dedicated maternity hospital opened in 1900 on Castle Street, with its roots beginning in the Aberdeen Dispensary, Vaccine and Lying-In Institution, and its future in the Baird Family Hospital.