GHAT has various opportunities for volunteers, which are crucial to the smooth running of the charity. We offer all volunteers training, expenses and opportunities to apply for upcoming vacancies and to participate in GHAT projects and events. GHAT is looking for Gallery Assistants for the next exhibition by John Walter in The Suttie Arts Space which opens on the 14th February 2019.
The Suttie Arts Space:
GHAT run an arts venue situated within Aberdeen Royal Infirmary which was opened in Dec 2014. The Suttie Arts Space leads off a corridor walkway, with a daily footfall of over 4000 people, which connects two major hospital buildings within Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. The function is an arts space in which all patients, staff and visitors will feel welcome, introduce existing and new audiences to contemporary art and increase the range of arts and artists that GHAT can support to create new work for exhibition.
The Gallery Assistant will work with the Senior Manager to prioritise the following tasks:
- Welcome visitors, answer questions and field sales enquiries
- Monitor and evaluation of feedback and visitor numbers
- Assist maintenance of exhibitions and gallery spaces
- Assist with promotional events and exhibition installations
- Provide administration support to the Senior Manager
Training will be given in all areas.
This is a volunteer post and the Gallery Assistant will report to the Senior Manager.
The Gallery Assistant role can be physically demanding in its nature. As well as standing or sitting for long periods you may be asked to help lift and carry equipment. The assistant may work alone and in isolation for some of the time. Please make the Senior Manager aware of any challenges which the physical nature of this job may present to you. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments for access and equality.
Conditions of Work:
- There will be an evaluation of the volunteer’s role after 10 weeks.
- An average exhibition run in The Suttie Arts Space is 8 weeks, and 6 weeks in The Small Gallery
- Further training opportunities across all GHAT projects will be made available to all volunteers on request.
Training will be given in all the following areas
Welcome visitors, answer questions and field sales enquiries
- Welcome and engage visitors
- Providing visitors with information about the current exhibition and all aspects of The Suttie Arts Space and Grampian Hospitals Art Trust, including projects, forthcoming exhibitions, events and activities, funding, and information about the local area.
- Handle sales enquiries for all GHAT products including publications and artworks
Monitor and evaluation of feedback and visitor numbers
- Collect feedback and comments to maintain the high standard and assist with the continuous improvement of services.
Assist maintenance of exhibitions and gallery spaces
- Adhering to NHS Grampian health and safety regulations, being aware of disability and access requirements.
- Assisting the public in evacuation situations following a thorough knowledge of evacuation procedures (training provided).
- Ensuring that the security of the artworks is not compromised.
- Informing the Senior Managers or Director immediately in the event of damage to the building or any artwork, in the instance of any health and safety or security issues arising, and of any other emergencies that may occur.
- Assisting in general cleaning.
- Ensuring all monitors in the gallery are working and on
Assist with promotional events and exhibition installations
- Assist with installations of exhibitions in both The Suttie Arts Space and The Small Gallery
- Assist with setting up and hosting, promotional events, workshops, talks and artists performances, both on and off-site.
Provide administration support to the Senior Manager
- Dealing with collections and deliveries.
- Type up feedback, comments and evaluation data
- Man sales desk in The Suttie Arts Space
The Gallery Assistant role can be physically demanding in its nature. As well as standing or sitting for long periods you may be asked to help lift and carry equipment. The Gallery Assistant may work alone and in isolation for some of the time. Please make the Senior Manager is aware of any challenges which the physical nature of this job may present to you. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments for access and equality.
To apply please send your CV, a cover letter and the name of one referee to
Grampian Hospitals Art Trust
Aberdeen Royal Infirmary